This is the Hummingbird bakery’s carrot cake. I made it the other day and enjoyed it so much I thought I’d share it on here (also, I took some nice photos and had nothing to do with them).
You Will Need:
300g soft light brown sugar
300ml sunflower oil
300g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
(+ extra for decorating)
1/2tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp vanilla extract
300g grated carrot
100g shelled walnuts
(+ extra to decorate)
Cream cheese frosting
Three 20cm cake tins lined with greaseproof paper
- Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Put the sugar, eggs and oil in an electric mixer and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and vanilla extract. Beat until well mixed.
- Stir in grated carrots and walnuts.
- Pour into your three prepared baking tins and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the top bounces back when you touch it.
- Leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread the frosting between the layers of the cake and over the outside. Then decorate with cinnamon and walnuts.